Your gums play an essential role in the wellbeing of your teeth and overall oral healthcare. Strong gums hold each tooth in place, protect the lower portions or your teeth and lessen your risk of developing bad breath, dental decay and a host of diseases. If one or more parts of your gums start to bleed, you need to see a dentist.
At the office of Pomerado Family Dental, our elite team of dental professionals has the ability, focus and flexibility to demonstrate unparalleled professional knowledge. Our high-tech, cutting-edge diagnostic equipment will give us an overall view of the health of every aspect of your mouth and teeth. All of our patients sense the quality of our care from the moment they step through our door.
Blood on your toothbrush, in your saliva or your spit could be a sign of the gum disease gingivitis. When bacteria-infused plaque builds up and forms a sticky film on your teeth, your gums can get swollen, turn bright red and bleed. They are symptoms of gingivitis, a destructive oral disease you don’t want.
Here are some ways to stave off bleeding gums.
- Brush your teeth after each meal and at bedtime, and use toothpaste that shows the American Dental Association’s stamp of approval. Floss daily and visit your dentist at least twice per year.
- Follow your dentist’s guidance regarding which texture of toothbrush bristles is best for you. Toothbrushes are available with bristles that range from hard to extra-soft.
- Check your dentures. If they don’t fit properly, they can slip around and make your gums painful and develop sores. Warm compresses against your gums and rinsing your mouth with salt water can heal the sores and soothe the pain. Nonetheless, your dentist must refit your dentures.
- Cease with the cigs. Smokers are twice as likely to develop gum disease. Tobacco smoke has chemicals that undermine your immune system, which lessens its ability to stave off gum infections.
- Chill out. In addition to impairing your mental health, stress can take a lasting toll on your physical health. Your body responds by increasing stress hormones that lead to inflammation and gum disease.
When you need the services of a top-notch dentist, rely on Pomerado Family Dental. We consider every patient to be unique regarding his/her wants, needs and preferences. We look forward to hearing from you and hope to establish a long-lasting relationship. Don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment.
By Pomerado Family Dental